close button

For medical school admissions

Visit the Office of Admission for info on application process, financial aid, and student life.

For graduate school admissions

Visit the Office of Graduate Education for info on our many doctoral programs and the graduate education application process at the School of Medicine.

close button

Give online

Use our secure online giving form to make your gift to Case Western Reserve University now.

Make a difference

Find out how you can Take Three Steps to make a difference at Case Western Reserve University.

close button

Welcome to campus

Visit Case Western Reserve University's uniquely urban campus, located in the heart of Cleveland's cultural hub, University Circle. Plan your trip:


MSPE-Medical Student Performance Evaluation

All graduating medical students are provided a Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) letter. This is a letter of evaluation, not recommendation. It is written and compiled in a transparent collaborative process between the student and their Society Dean. The MSPE has 9 parts:

A student may request to work with a Society Dean other than their own to prepare the MSPE. Such a request should be made in writing to the Society Dean whom the student has chosen to prepare the MSPE. Please note that changing the Society Dean who helps prepare the MSPE does not change the formal Society Dean assignment for other advising and monitoring purposes. If a student wishes to change their Society Dean assignment, proper procedures should be followed.

Adverse actions taken by the school may appear on a student’s MSPE. A committee composed of three Society Deans (excluding the student’s dean) and the chairperson of the Committee on Students will meet to determine if the action should appear in the letter. They will also craft the language that will appear in the MSPE.

The Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) must be reviewed by the student within the Office of Student Affairs at the Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, under the supervision of a staff member. If a student wishes to contest an entry in their MSPE, the student must make a request in writing to the Vice Dean for Medical Education.

(See also: Academic Societies Policies & Procedures: MSPE preparation)

Return to top



Published and maintained by the Office of Student Affairs and the Academic Societies
Revised 3/07/17