close button

For medical school admissions

Visit the Office of Admission for info on application process, financial aid, and student life.

For graduate school admissions

Visit the Office of Graduate Education for info on our many doctoral programs and the graduate education application process at the School of Medicine.

close button

Give online

Use our secure online giving form to make your gift to Case Western Reserve University now.

Make a difference

Find out how you can Take Three Steps to make a difference at Case Western Reserve University.

close button

Welcome to campus

Visit Case Western Reserve University's uniquely urban campus, located in the heart of Cleveland's cultural hub, University Circle. Plan your trip:


What is Sparta?

Sparta is an internal software system, managed by Central Research Administration, that provides a portal to information about online conflict of interest updating, and continuing research education credit (CREC) information.

What is our DUNS Number, Tax ID, Fringe Rate and Indirect (F&A) Rate?

Please refer to Central Research Administration's Research Administration Commonly Requested Information for updated information.

I have a subcontract as part of my proposal, what do I need to provide?

Please follow the instructions on your FOA, RFP, etc (application instructions) in regards to content to be provided as part of the proposal.

For internal purposes, at the time of submission, we ask for completed PHS 398 Face Page, Budget, COI and Checklist, along with a work statement (i.e. budget justification and indicating of what work will be done at the site).

These documents should be uploaded in the Sparta Funding Proposal (FP).

I have a faculty member from another school within CWRU on my proposal, what do I need to provide?

Please obtain approval from the faculty member's department that the Salary and Effort noted for the individual on the SOM proposal is appropriate. Then attach this email to the Sparta Funding Proposal (FP).

I am going to be a subcontracted site on another Universities/Organizations' proposal, what do I need to provide?

Please note each University/Organization will require different items. Please coordinate with the sponsor to determine what items are requested and the due dates. Please prepare these items and attach to a Sparta Funding Proposal (FP), which should then be routed to our office for approval and sign-off. The department will then provide the information to the sponsor.

How do I get an eRA Commons User ID (I currently do not have one)?

Requests for new eRA Commons login should be sent to with First Name, Last Name, Current Title, Department, Requested ID and confirmation that individual has not yet submitted an NIH proposal.

I have an existing eRA Commons User ID, how do I get affiliate with CWRU?

Requests for affiliation of an existing eRA Commons login/credential should be sent to with First Name, Last Name, current Login ID, Current Title, Department & previous Institution.

I have forgotten my eRA Commons password, how do I reset it?

Access eRA Commons and click on "forgot password/unlock account?". This will then ask you for your User ID and email address. Once entered it will walk you through how to create a new password.

What is the eRA Commons or HelpDesk number?

How do I get an NSF Fastlane User ID?

Please send an email to requesting an NSF Fastlane account, you will then receive a response requesting specific information required to create the NSF Fastlane account.

How do I submit JIT Requests?

Please utilize the JIT feature in the appropriate Sparta FP to upload the requested documents. If the documents need to be emailed to an NIH individual please also include the original request so we know where to send it. If the documents need to be uploaded to eRA Commons, that should be done in addition to uploading the items in the Sparta Funding Proposal.

Please note when doing JIT submissions in Sparta to check the box next to "Check this box if you are ready to send these documents to your AOR for review and submission to the sponsor" when you are ready to notify our office to submit the materials. If this box is not checked, our office will not receive notification via Sparta.

Please also be sure to follow-up with us if the due date is approaching and you have not been cc:ed on the JIT message being sent to NIH.

How Do I Add a New Subcontractor to Sparta?

Right now, Sparta doesn't have a new subcontractor form. Please email the performance site information to

Do I Create a Follow-on Continuation From Last Year's Continuation or the Parent?

A follow-on continuation is created from the parent FP.