close button

For medical school admissions

Visit the Office of Admission for info on application process, financial aid, and student life.

For graduate school admissions

Visit the Office of Graduate Education for info on our many doctoral programs and the graduate education application process at the School of Medicine.

close button

Give online

Use our secure online giving form to make your gift to Case Western Reserve University now.

Make a difference

Find out how you can Take Three Steps to make a difference at Case Western Reserve University.

close button

Welcome to campus

Visit Case Western Reserve University's uniquely urban campus, located in the heart of Cleveland's cultural hub, University Circle. Plan your trip:


What documentation is required to set-up a speedtype/account?

An completed Internal Budget Form, IACUC and/or IRB approval (as applicable), corresponding Sparta Funding Proposal (FP) and any other relevant award information.

My grant has a billing code 07, how is the revenue received added to the budget?

For billing code 07s, the budget is increased to match the revenue received. At least quarterly, the department should complete an IPAS in Sparta providing the speedtype, current Income and Expense statement, and completed Internal Budget form.

What are the different Billing Codes?

I was notified that my account is deferred, what does that mean?

Our office inputs your grants information into the PeopleSoft system and prompts the system to created an internal NOA (Notice of Award), if there is an outstanding compliance item, i.e. CREC, COI, or Effort Reporting, the system will place the internal NOA in a "deferred" status. Once the compliance issue has been met, the system should automatically update. Please note the system looks at the Award PI, Project PI and the key persons associated with your award.

I have an NIH grant, how do I apply for my first no cost extension?

Please refer to your NIH Notice of Grant Award for any restrictions. Typically NIH allows a one-time no cost extension. To request, please complete the IPAS form for the no cost extension request and email the form, current Income & Expense Statement, and the following information to

  • Number of months
  • No term of the award specifically prohibits the extension
  • No additional funds are required to be obligated by the NIH awarding IC
  • The project's original approved scope will not be changed
  • Senior/key personnel has a measurable level of effort
  • I have an NIH grant, how do I apply for my second no cost extension?

    To request a second or third no-cost extension, please complete the IPAS form and email the form, current Income and Expense Statement, and the following information to Please note, the progress report and scientific rationale for continuing the project must be in separate documents.

  • Number of months
  • Does PI maintain measurable effort
  • Progress report
  • Scientific rationale for continuing the project
  • Total unobligated balance
  • Detailed budget
  • Detailed budget justification
  • If applicable, Human Subjects - IRB Approval Date
  • If applicable, Animals - IACUC Approval Date
  • I need to revise who receives internal NOAs in my office, what should I do?

    The Department Administrator can request individuals to be added or removed from the NOA distribution listing. Please note individuals included on your department's NOA distribution list will receive ALL NOAs for your department. The Department Administrator should send an email to indicating who should be removed/added and the Department ID (ex. 691235).

    Who should invoices be sent to?

    Invoices should be sent to Sponsored Projects Accounting and/or the department, dependent upon the terms of the
    award/contract. Please see procurement Services website for further information in regards to processing an invoice for

    Who should checks be sent to?

    Please note, a Funding Proposal is needed for Account Setup. Checks should be sent to the attention of Sponsored Projects Accounting at the following address:

    Sponsored Projects Accounting
    Case Western Reserve University
    Nord Hall, 6th Floor
    10900 Euclid Avenue
    Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7037
    Any questions, please email and/or