close button

For medical school admissions

Visit the Office of Admission for info on application process, financial aid, and student life.

For graduate school admissions

Visit the Office of Graduate Education for info on our many doctoral programs and the graduate education application process at the School of Medicine.

close button

Give online

Use our secure online giving form to make your gift to Case Western Reserve University now.

Make a difference

Find out how you can Take Three Steps to make a difference at Case Western Reserve University.

close button

Welcome to campus

Visit Case Western Reserve University's uniquely urban campus, located in the heart of Cleveland's cultural hub, University Circle. Plan your trip:

Debt Management


Financial aid is renewable on a yearly basis, provided you are a US citizen, remain in good standing and continue to demonstrate financial need. Application for renewal must be made each year and the amount may vary, depending upon your current financial situation. Awards may also be reviewed during the academic year if your financial circumstances change substantially. If a change in your circumstances warrants it, you might qualify for assistance in future years even if you do not qualify this year.

Financing your medical education over the next four years can be very complex. Listed below are items that should be considered thoughtfully:

Establish and/or maintain good credit

By using credit cards with NO annual fees, paying your bills on time and paying them off every month.

Recognize that your financial status is closely tied to that of your parents

In a rapidly changing economy, you must have contingency plans. It is the policy of the Case School of Medicine to expect parents, to the extent of demonstrated ability, to contribute to the medical education of their children. Financial aid guidelines, which are dictated in most instances by external agencies, and that medical schools are obligated to abide by and enforce these guidelines in order to be able to provide, in an equitable manner, all available funds. For the purpose of establishing eligibility for university assistance no medical student is considered to be financially independent of his/her family regardless of age, marital status, or the fact that he/she may have been self-supporting for a number of years.

Acknowledge that the cost of training a competent physician is enormous

Medical training is one of the most expensive forms of postgraduate training available in this country. Your tuition and fees over the next four years cover only over 65% of the total cost of your medical school education. At a state medical school, the taxpayers make up the difference. Private medical schools receive some state and federal assistance, but the majority of the additional funds come from university allocations and contributions and, indirectly, from medical school faculty willing to accept salaries less than what they could expect to earn in private practice.

U.S. Department of Education

For the purpose of determining eligibility for Federal Stafford subsidized and unsubsidized loan funds, parental financial information will be be utilitzed for those students satisfying one of the following criteria:


Through the records of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) Case verifies permanent resident or naturalized citizenship status. Applicants are required to provide their INS identification numbers to assist in this process.

Change of Address/Billing Information

Students should notify the Financial Office of any changes in address, so that all financial aid and billing correspondence is received in a timely manner. Any change in permanent address will be routinely reported to a student's Stafford, and/or alternative loan lender(s), as required by the authorizing legislation for each of these programs. Borrowers are also required to notify their lenders of address changes. Tuition bills are sent out in July for the first semester of the award year. If you do not receive a bill by the end of July, notify the Registrar's Office at the School of Medicine. Payment terms will be described on the bill. These are mailed from the Bursar's Office.


Request for an increase in scholarship or loan assistance may be made by submitting a letter of appeal to the Financial Aid Office. Indicate the reason for the appeal and the amount requested and document the unusual circumstances necessitating the appeal. If appealing a charge on the tuition and fees bill, the student should submit a letter of explanation to the Bursar's Office. If a student is not satisfied with an appeal decision,, he/she has the right to further discuss his/her situation with the Director of Financial Aid or the Associate Dean of Admissions.

Entrance Interviews

Each student must have an entrance interview for the Federal Family Education Loan Programs (Federal Stafford Loan Program). The mandatory entrance interview will be held during the first week of school.

Exit Interviews

Each student who has borrowed from a loan program for which Case Western Reserve University is the lender, must have a personal exit interview with a representative from the Student Loan Office before leaving the University. During this interview, the borrower confirms the total sum borrowed; the source of each loan; and the length of the repayment period.

The Financial Aid Office is required by law to conduct exit interviews for all Stafford and alternative loan borrowers. Many borrowers, therefore, will be required to have two exit interviews before leaving the University: one conducted by the Student Loan Office and one by the Financial Aid Office. Both interviews are in March. The purpose of the interviews are to ascertain and assure the borrower's understanding of his or her responsibilities as the in-school period of the loan draws to a close. The school must communicate to lenders the fact that the borrower has left school and provide certain information (addresses, etc.), which will facilitate future communication between the lender and the borrower.