Dr. Ted's Medical Moments 1/24/96
Logo

Carbon Monoxide, Snow & Cars

Snow is not over for this winter and here is one danger you might not have thought about if you get stuck in the snow.

During the recent blizzard in the northeast, 21 people were admitted to a New York City hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning... from their cars.

The high levels of snow had clogged exhaust pipes.

As people sat in their cars trying to keep warm, it didn't take long for carbon monoxide to seep into the cars, making the occupants very ill.

One person even died in his car.

Make sure your auto exhaust is free of snow if you're stopped and have your engine running.


Return to Dr. Ted's Home Page
Go to the School of Medicine's Home Page
This page is maintained by David M. Pilasky of the Office of Information Systems and was last updated February 2nd, 1996.