CASE.EDU:    HOME | DIRECTORIES | SEARCH 

Department of Neurology

 

View of the University





Case Western Reserve

University

 


  The University in its present form is the result of the 1967 federation of Case Institute of Technology and Western Reserve University. The two institutions had shared adjacent campuses since the late nineteenth century, and were involved in cooperative efforts for many years. Today, Case Western Reserve University’s enrollment is distributed among undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs that encompass the arts and sciences, dental medicine, engineering, law, management, medicine, nursing, and social work.
 

Western Reserve College was founded in 1826 in Hudson, Ohio, a town 26 miles southeast of Cleveland. The College took its name from that of the region, known at the time as the Western Reserve of Connecticut. In 1882, the institution moved to its present location in Cleveland and took the new name, Western Reserve University.
 

In 1877 Leonard Case, Jr., a leading citizen of Cleveland, began laying the groundwork for the Case School of Applied Science by donating pieces of Cleveland real estate to a trust that would provide an endowment for a new engineering school. In 1880, the Case School of Applied Science was issued a charter by the state of Ohio.

The establishment of the Case School of Applied Science coupled with Western Reserve University's move to Cleveland, led to the first of many partnerships between the schools. Together, the two schools purchased the land that would become home to their separate yet adjacent campuses. In 1886, just one year after Western Reserve had done so, Case moved to its current site. Over time the Case School of Applied Science grew to encompass a broader vision, adopting the name Case Institute of Technology in 1947 to reflect the institution's growing stature. In 1967, after being neighbors for 81 years, the two schools federated to become Case Western Reserve University.


The Department of Neurology

 

Portrait of Dr. Foley

Portrait of Dr. Daroff

 

Dr. Clark Randt joined the faculty of CWRU in 1951 and was named Director of the newly formed Division of Neurology within the Department of Medicine in 1956. In 1959, he left to join NASA and later became the Chair at New York University. Dr. Joseph Foley became Director in September 1961. The Division rapidly grew under his direction into a nationally recognized program. Upon his retirement, the Department of Neurology was formed, and Dr. Robert B. Daroff became its first Chairman in 1980. Dr. Daroff became Chief of Staff at University Hospitals and Associate Dean at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in 1994.  Dr. Dennis M.D. Landis was appointed as  Chairman in 1995. Dr. Landis stepped down as Chairman in 2006, and Dr. Robert B. Daroff assumed the position of Interim Chairman. Following a national search, Dr. Anthony J. Furlan was appointed as Chair effective January, 2008.

 

 

Dr. Foley

Dr. Daroff

Dr. Landis

Dr. Furlan

 

The Department has continued to grow and now includes 55 faculty at nine sites (University Hospitals - Cleveland Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Richmond Medical Center, Bedford Medical Center, Westlake Health Center, Chagrin Highlands Health Center, Suburban Health Center, Foley Elder Heath Center, and the Cleveland VA Medical Center). Within the Department are many Centers, among them, Epilepsy, Neuromuscular, Movement Disorders, Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disorders, Critical Care Neurology, Brain Health and Memory, Community Neurology and Neuro-Ophthalamology / Balance. The Department supports a large residency training program of 48 residents (12 a year), in addition to fellows in Pediatric Neurology, Neuromuscular Medicine, Vascular Neurology, Epilepsy, Clinical Neurophysiology (EEG) and Neurologic Intensive Care. In research, the Department has an active clinical trials unit and has consistently ranked among the top twenty programs in the country for NIH funding.