Doc Opera is a variety show unique to the Case School of Medicine. All of the performances are written, choreographed and performed by the medical students and focus on the only life we now know: the amusing sides of CaseMED, medicine in general, and the city of Cleveland. The show serves a dual purpose: a showcase of the wonderful and variable talents of Case medical students and a fundraiser for a truly amazing organization - the Free Clinic of Greater Cleveland.
We take great effort to celebrate the quality and creativity that Doc Opera has represented for over the past 20 years while choosing performances that best showcase the talents of our classmates. From juggling and belly dancing to country swing, acting, and show tunes to rap and R & B, Doc Opera is truly a variety show.
This year's theme was based on the classic game - Operation!
This year's performance included songs like:
- (Dia) betes (Beat It - Michael Jackson)
- Colonoscopy (Thriller - Michael Jackson)
- Gotta Clean the Poo Poo (Chatanooga Choo Choo - Glenn Miller Orchestra)
- Heart Murmur Tango (Cell Block Tango from Chicago)
- When I Practice PD (Physical Diagnosis) I Touch Myself (I Touch Myself - Divinyls)
- I Want'Em Back (My Forceps) (I Want You Back - Jackson 5)
- I Want Mylanta (I Want is Tghat Way - Backstreet Boys)
- I'm Into Psych (I Kissed Girl - Katy Perry)
- It's A Teratoma (Dude Looks Like A Lady - Aerosmith)
- My Doctor Told Me (Somebody Told Me - The Killers)
- PT Plan (The New Workout Plan - Kanye West)
- Someday (Over the Rainbow - Harold Arden and E.Y. Harburg)
The Doc Opera performance also includes a number of video skits that are played between songs while the set crew readies the stage.
Some of skits performed included:
- Case Med Mafia - Three families fight for control over bodies in the anatomy lab. If one family doesn't kill them... the other family will.
- The eCurriculum Roster - Mother nagging you to get married? Relatives in India hounding you with proposals? Let us help take the "arr" out of "arranged" with this new dating service brought to you by the eCurriculum.
- I Love Medicine - Fans of medicine and all its craziness can't help but break into song.
- IQ Group Draft - A live look at the 2008 IQ group draft, where one of the most dysfunctional IQ groups from the previous blocks gets a chance to pick a student that could improve their educational and emotional fortunes for the upcoming block.
- Jazz Hands! - Hand washing doesn't protect you from EVERY contagious disease. Especially not... JAZZ HANDS!
- Medical School Noir - A shadow falls over Case Med. Sit back and experience what unfolds.
- Medical School Olympics - Even in a pass/fail curriculum, med students still find a way to compete.
- Survivor - Med School - See who gets voted off in the latest installment of Survivor - Med School.
- Medical Translator! - When "foreign" languages test the boundaries of a normal physicans abilities, it's time to call in the professional: Medical Translator! In this exciting episode, will Medical Translator meet his match when he faces the most difficult language of them all?